Duncans Pass
Ken Brodrick
2005-05-02 11:20:21 UTC
I was looking around for Duncans Pass ( the alternative to Taros Ladders)
but was unable to find it. There is a track goes off about 20m from the top
of the ladders on the right but it soon peters out. I got as far as an
overhang but there was no pass down.
From the bottom of the ladders its the same story. I searched aound the
cliffs staying close to the cliffs as per the Gangerang map but no luck
Anyone got any ideas?

Ken
Roger Caffin
2005-05-02 22:22:42 UTC
Post by Ken Brodrick
I was looking around for Duncans Pass ( the alternative to Taros Ladders)
but was unable to find it. There is a track goes off about 20m from the top
of the ladders on the right but it soon peters out. I got as far as an
overhang but there was no pass down.
From the bottom of the ladders its the same story. I searched aound the
cliffs staying close to the cliffs as per the Gangerang map but no luck
Duncans Pass is very easy. We don't bother with Taros Ladders any more.

When you get down to the flat shelf with red rock, at the top of the
Ladders, move LEFT or East. There will be a faint pad going across the steep
dirt for 100 - 200 metres. Bit of a scrabble: not a 'formed' track, but
quite easy. Keep going until you see a gully below you that looks easy, down
past a big buttress or boulder on your right. At the bottom of this turn
back right towards the spur and follow the bottom of the cliff. This is a
bit like a jungle gym, but easy enough. You emerge at the foot of the prow.
Going up, just follow the rough track at the foot of the cliffs going
East/right. Keep going until you can go up a gully easily - it's the first
break. At the top, go left to the flat shelf.

This route is used by wallabies and wombats. Clever fellows.

Cheers
Roger Caffin
David Noble
2005-05-03 14:05:13 UTC
Post by Ken Brodrick
of the ladders on the right but it soon peters out. I got as far as an
overhang but there was no pass down.
From the bottom of the ladders its the same story. I searched aound the
cliffs staying close to the cliffs as per the Gangerang map but no luck
Duncans Pass is very easy. We don't bother with Taros Ladders any more.
Actually - Duncans Pass is the whole pass off Clear Hill - and includes Taros
Ladders - sure there is a bypass route to the ladders. But the WHOLE pass is
Duncans Pass, not just the bypass. On their first descent - the Duncans did
descend near the present location of the ladders.

Dave Noble
Roger Caffin
2005-05-03 23:16:12 UTC
Post by David Noble
Actually - Duncans Pass is the whole pass off Clear Hill - and includes Taros
Ladders - sure there is a bypass route to the ladders. But the WHOLE pass is
Duncans Pass, not just the bypass. On their first descent - the Duncans did
descend near the present location of the ladders.
Um, yes, I keep forgetting. Mental block or something.

Cheers
Roger Caffin